GDTC at a glance
Bahir Dar University is one of the largest Universities in Ethiopia envisioning to become among the top ten premier research universities in Africa by 2025. To this end, the University established a number of research centers to reach its vision and bring changes to the research arena. Geospatial Data and Technology Center (GDTC) is one of the centers established in 2013.
GDTC is of the very first kind research center established in Ethiopia envisioning to become premier in GIS and Remote Sensing application in Ethiopia and playing role that BDU achieve its vision. As a young research center it has been in its establishment period. So far GDTC sponsored 16 researches (four in 2006 E.C and 12 in 2007 E.C).
Members of the center are from the different disciplines of the University. From College of Social Sciences, Institute of Land Administration, College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences and School of Civil and Water Engineering. As far a person is interested and have professional background in geospatial technologies, he/she could join the center irrespective of the institution in the University.
GDTC could deliver the following services and activities GDTC is aiming at:
· Geospatial data collection, maintenance and updating;
· Geospatial data provision to academic, research and public institutions;
· Conduct demand driven and problem solving researches,
· Capacity building (tailored, basic and advanced trainings) to stakeholders.
· Provide appropriate consultancy services;
· Deliver research based community services that could contribute to the development of the country;
· Contribute to the quality of National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI);
· Organize and conduct Seminars, National and International workshops and Symposia;
· Establish relationships with different Universities, Research Institutions and Governmental and Non Governmental Organizations who have geospatial data and technology affiliates;
· Build Center of excellence in geospatial data and technology;
· Contribute to the publication of academic journals and newsletters;
· Contribute to income generation and solicit funds to the university through designing projects and establishing partnerships.